I am fascinated by achievement of Ibn Battuta, his travel achievement of 7400+ miles. Being a muslim, he traveled most part of the world where Islam was practiced. I am not sure if this was the reason for him not getting credit he deserved by the western historians.
This post is not enough about his journey details, i have added footnote with references for more detailed read.
Some notes about his life & journey I made :
- He was born in family of scholars and judges in .
- He started his first journey at age of 21 years for Mecca to become the best known traveler to the world.
- When he returned back home, his parents were dead and his country under threat by the christian ruler.
- His resolution was not to travel same route more than once but found himself in Delhi twice & mecca 4 times. 🙂
- He practised Sufism.
- During his entire journey he traveled over 40 country including India, China, Russia & most parts of Africa.
- He was appointed as ambassador to China by sultan of Delhi. [Never imagined this part]
I am yet to find an interesting book to read about him & his journey. I found From pilgrim to world traveler: Ibn battuta really interesting. I will update the blog as I find more references.