Last weeks reading was Wheat Belly by William Davis MD. In the book, author talks about how over century wheat has evolved from being a wild grass to staple food and is key part of all our meals. While wheat has cured world hunger, its genetic modifications have also resulted in carrying modern day disease.
Reading this book will scare shit out of you and make you feel that all the disease you are or your parents/society is suffering from, wheat is one major villain.
Some of the disease which Wheat is responsible for causing includes
- Coeliac disease – the devastating intestinal disease that develops from exposure to wheat gluten.
- Neurological disorders
- Heart disease
- Curious rashes
- The paralysing delusions of schizophrenia.
- Appetite stimulation
- Exposure to brain-active exorphins (the counterpart of internally derived endorphins)
- Exaggerated blood sugar surges that trigger cycles of satiety alternating with heightened appetite
- The process of glycation that underlies disease and ageing
- Inflammatory and pH effects that erode cartilage and damage bone, and activation of disordered immune responses.
Unlike me, you must be thinking if at all it is possible to have a life minus wheat. The author says we will have cravings for sometime but it is possible. In the book, author has planned out 7 days wheat free meal.
Author ends up the book on the note:
Fourteen-chromosome wild grass has been transformed into the forty-two-chromosome, nitrate-fertilised, top-heavy, ultra-high-yield variety that now enables us to buy doughnuts by the dozen, pancakes by the stack and pretzels by the ‘family size’ bag.
I consciously decided this time not to share my kindle notes rather write a small snippet from the book, hope you all like it.