I know i am little late in posting this, but wiseman said its better late than none. 2014 was year with announcement all around technology. It had some surprises as well & biggest of all MSFT taking .Net to open source.
- Cloud Foundry foundation announced. This announcement will add more value/credibility to overall project. Other vendors/enterprise will happily contribute to it as its no more under Pivotal`s control.
- Microsoft open sources .NET core I get a feeling this move is too late, i would still hope if this gets people to Azure platform.
- coreOS announces its own container technology. Its always good to have choice we will see where rocket project goes in 2015.
- Docker adds more battery to core
- Octablue gets acquired by Citrix Citrix master stroke, this gets their foot inside internet of things, i have high hopes from Octablue project. Let see what happens after the acquisition.
- Eucalyptus gets acquired by HP Eucalyptus is dead & HP gets customers for their private cloud.
- OpenStack gets more mainstream Even with wide contribution and popularity a lot needs to be worked on especially the networking i.e neutron project.
- Microservies We will see more advocates talking about microservices.
- Nodejs is forked Let see what we get from the fork & if every other project adopts/supports the fork. It will be interesting project to watch in 2015.