I’ve always been an advocate of free software which simply gives users the freedom to run the software for any purpose. Gradually, my application of thought towards free software is changing and I would say that it is mainly because you cannot impose software on users. While some find it easy to use, for others it may be more complex than anticipated. In the end, it is all about good choices, what works for somebody may not necessarily work out for you.
Everyday at lunch, I relish browsing Youtube for inspirational documentaries from software pundits. One such documentary I recently viewed was from the highly successful American entrepreneur, marketer,inventor and cofounder of Apple Inc -the very remarkable Steve Jobs.
Personally, I always kind of believed that Steve Jobs was just a great marketing guy but after watching this video on Youtube, I immediately realized he was much more than that.
Here is my keynote analysis on the man’s marketing & leadership qualities that turned Apple into a multi billion dollar company :
- A true leader must be a visionary & peoples person, Steve was loved by all his coworkers and peers for these traits.
- The pillar of a successful enterprise depends on the strength of its team and is not an individual’s ideals.
- Customer feedback and suggestions are vital for business growth. It is very important to listen/understand/learn from all customer suggestions.
- We are already living in a complex world which makes our task of producing products that are simple for everyone to use more challenging.
- Cut down costs on competitive products and instead create a marketing strategy which makes your product stand out in the market.
- Connect with customers requirements & you have won half the battle in the consumer market.
- Always believe that you are never to old to learn anything new whether it is a new skill, language or creative assets, experimenting is the best form of practice.
- When times are tough, it is important to make crucial decisions setting aside the emotions.
- Your biggest rivals in the industry are also your biggest teachers. They possess different qualities that you can learn from and teach you, so keep them in the loop. Bill Gates & Steve Jobs shared a very cordial relationship.
- Seeking help is not a sign of weakness, ask for, help and you will find it useful. For instance, who would have thought that Microsoft would once bailout Apple
- In some ventures, Apple’s ethics were tested, but Steve Jobs effectively invented the first modern computer mouse by taking the concept from Xerox which many questioned.
- In his quest for inner peace, Steve Jobs visited India & learnt about Buddhism.
- It is not always about making money.Sometimes it is about doing what you love and having the faith in producing what you dream of.When Steve Jobs made a reentry in Apple,the company saw a whole new level of success.
- Always have an open mind. Listen and observe around you and learn from what you see and experience.
- When you pursue a dream, you don’t have to block your life because of demanding society. Life will take its course if you pursue a dream. From college to securing a job, settling down in marriage with kids and finally a grand retirement is only inevitable for successful dream chasers.
- Stay hungry, stay foolish.Always aim for more and most importantly, spend every moment being happy.
The question I asked myself after watching this documentary and then writing this post is whether I am not smitten by Apple and their products? I dont think I am.
I see things differently, and learning more about Steve Jobs struggles to success has just open up my mind to believe that not all things are as peachy on the surface as they tend to look.
Someone aptly said that even your bitter foe has something worth learning from.In the process, I am starting to accept everyone’s belief with an open mind.