Change requires commitment and belief that a user’s life will get much better with it. Our human tendency is to stick to the default. We cannot change it overnight. The change will happen if :
- The solution is better than the existing one.
- The user is committed to using it.
Some other steps which will help with change come down to:
- Present the idea: People feel more comfortable when they are part of the change. When done with a group of people, everyone feels part of it instead of being alone.
- Identify the pulses: People see negatives first. It is one of the dynamics of change. Focus on positives.
- Have people express their obstacles. Let users talk in “how to” instead ” you cannot”.
- Work the problems together by getting ideas on how to resolve the issues. People should involve together in solving the problem.
- Develop next steps: Work closely, iterate, and find out the immediate pain and fix it.
- Follow up: talk to the users regularly and take feedback.
Reference: customer culture by Michael Basch