I I visited Srinager while returning from Ladakh. It was a frantic ride, crossing Drass, Kargil, snow filled road & rain. I reached Srinagar early morning & got a room right across Dal Lake. Most people are friendly & they know tourists are bread/butter for them.
I have tried to summarize my overall experience in simple notes.
- Dal Lake is more beautiful during winter, although summer is peak tourist season.
- Shikara ride is hugely recommended & if you want more fun spend a day or two in house boat.
- I was not lucky to enjoy Wazwan because none of my local friends were getting married at the time of my visit. 🙂
- Spend one complete day visiting all the beautiful gardens.
- Do visit Hazratbal shrine & feed the pigeons, if I remember correctly, you are not allowed to carry your cams.
- An evening walk at Lal Chok is another great way of seeing and meeting locals.
- Mughal Darbar at Lal Chok makes excellent kebabs.
- Do drink Kahwah[local chai] from roadside shop.
- I spent 4-5 hours at Shankaracharya Temple, its a good walk. The temple is very small & easily gets crowded so try visiting early morning.
- Also, thanks to Mir Nazim & iKraft team for Gulmurg trip I was unlucky so could not enjoy Gandola Ride. Although I enjoyed the whole trip. 🙂
- Last not the least you can either take flight, train from Delhi to reach Srinagar or like me take state roadways bus.
Some Random Clicks